LASIK has become increasingly popular over the years and with new advances in laser technology enabling those who are farsighted, nearsighted and with astigmatism to have the option of this procedure. LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis) can change the curve of the cornea using a laser to correct vision. As an outpatient surgical procedure, most patients can return to normal activity the next day.
LASIK is for those who:
- want to reduce or eliminate their dependence on glasses or contacts
- are at least 18 years of age
- have had a stable eye prescription for at least one year
- have no health issues affecting their eyes
- have no signs of glaucoma or cataracts
The decision to have LASIK is an important one that only you can make. The goal of any refractive surgical procedure is to reduce your dependence on corrective lenses. However, we cannot guarantee you will have the results you desire. The vast majority of our patients are extremely happy with their vision after LASIK and can do most activities without dependence on corrective lenses.
Serious complications with LASIK are extremely rare. LASIK is a safe, effective and permanent procedure, but like any surgical procedure, it does have some risks. Many of the risks and complications associated with this procedure can be reduced or eliminated through careful patient selection and thorough pre-operative testing using the latest diagnostic technology.
After LASIK, you may experience some visual side effects. These visual side effects are usually mild and diminish over time. But there is a slight chance that some of these side effects won’t go away completely, such as feelings of dryness, glare and halos.
Since everyone heals somewhat differently, some patients may over react to the procedure and some may under react resulting in over corrections and under corrections. Once the eye has stablized (3 to 6 months) you and your doctor can discuss whether a re-treatment could help fine tune your vision if you are over or under corrected.
After a thorough eye exam, you and your doctor will determine if LASIK is an option for you. If you are a good candidate, you will be given additional information about the procedure that will allow you to make an informed decision about whether to proceed. Be sure you have all your questions answered to your satisfaction.
Why choose Martinellie Eye Care & Laser for LASIK?
When looking to have Refractive Surgery with Martinelli Eye and Laser Centers, rest assured that your eyes are in the most capable hands. Our Doctors are committed to providing the most advanced eye care possible. That is why our doctors have made it their mission to be at the forefront of many medical developments. This includes incorporating the state-of-the-art LASIK system from VISX®. The VISX® CustomVue® utilizes customized “Wavefront” and “Eye-Tracking” technologies to assure that you are receiving the most sophisticated treatment available today. When it comes to LASIK surgery, it is clear why you should choose Martinelli Eye and Laser Centers. Dr. Martinelli believes in the procedures so much…he has had the procedure done himself!
What Makes Martinelli Eye & Laser Centers So Different?
- Complete Continuity of Care – You see only our specialized team from beginning to end of treatment. This direct, one-on-one approach in total-service environment makes all the difference in providing quality care and building trust, something we have been doing since 1966.
- High Success Rate – Our success rate for LASIK surgery is high because our patients are always excellent candidates. Some patients are surprised that we refuse to recommend surgery for them. They shouldn’t be. We are always looking out for our patients, offering the best state-of-the-art solution for their individual needs. That is why we carefully examine every patient to make sure they are a suitable candidate for a successful LASIK procedure.